Unfortunately, and as you can probably tell, I have been without internet for almost two weeks. My apologies for the lack of updating. Right now I will just give you a quick update because I am so tired after each day of work I can barely think well, let alone write well. I give you a good update on saturday.
We did one more week of bible camp at a church called Bisen Maguri and it went really well. It was much more relaxed then the other church so it was more enjoyable. I think they really enjoyed it, in fact we had adults there every day taking notes. It was intimidating! But they liked us enough that they asked us to come on sunday on preach. So I let Laura take the lead on that one since she already had a sermon, and we spent saturday night editing it without power by the light of our torches (flashlights). Then sunday I figured that I was off the hook, but apparently I should have stayed awake during chapel and morning prayer at St. David's because I got there and they told me I was leading the service. They are anglican! I had no idea what to do so it was quite an interesting sunday, but fun none the less.
Then from the beginning of September we are working at an orphanage type thing called Smile Africa ministries. It is hard work but it is so much fun. There are over 400 kids each day and very few speak english but its motivating us to improve our Swahili. A typical day there consists of this: wake up at 6, head out the door by 730 grab a bicycle boda for about thirty cents down to work, and then from 8 to 10 we teach - I have been doing either preschool type or second and third grade english and math - 10 -11 serve breakfast and eat some ourselves - 11-12 bath all 400 kids - 12-1 Attempt to teach some more -1-230 Serve lunch and hang out with the teachers eating lunch- posho and beans, everyday- 230-330 teach some more and then 330 get to play with the kids till they leave at 4. We do some cleaning and then walk about an hours walk back home. I fall asleep before nine every night, it is crazy but I love it.
Other than that we have been hanging out with Emily and her brother Eli on the weekends. I love getting to know her, I will have to tell you more about her on saturday. We even got to go with them to a swimming pool at one of the hotels here! It was a super hot day so it was so nice!!
That's it for now, more interesting stuff to come on Saturday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
sah-weeeeet! hope you're doing well, Brynne!
Post a Comment