I am finally in the red soil. This journey felt so long and I don’t think I have ever had so many emotions in so little time. We left Pearl River for Newark Airport at about two pm on Wednesday. We got through ticketing fairly quickly, but then we had to help the Munson’s with all twenty pieces of luggage. It took about an hour to get them checked in, to weigh all the luggage, and to get it tagged. It was a hilarious endeavor to us, but I am pretty sure those in line behind us were quite annoyed. At around six pm we were on the flight to London!
That flight was not much fun. We all decided to take an over the counter sleeping pill to ensure that we would sleep, but since we took it so early in the day it just ended up making us loopy and restless on the flight. Half of the group slept, I did it random spurts. So restless but still running on adrenaline, we arrived in London around 7 am and hit the ground running. We checked our carry-ons at some sketchy place in the airport then bought an all day tube pass and headed into London. It was really weird to be in London because I had just been there less then two months ago, but when I was there I was even more tired so I don’t even remember where we went. So every place we would go I would have a vague memory of it, but I couldn’t tell you definitively that I had been there before. Anyway, we did basically everything in London in about nine hours. We would think of a place we wanted to go, or look at a place that sounded cool on the map, and then we would hop on the tube and go there. By the time we got to Wembley Stadium, around three pm, I was exhausted. We walked wembley and even saw a Segway race around the stadium and then decided that even though we had a few more hours till our flight we would head back to the airport. I could barely keep my head up on the train and nodded off more than once. Through a few more train changes, we arrived at the airport around 445 and had about four hours to kill. We slept, or attempted to sleep. Oh and Laur, I got a mango passion fruit smoothie thing of course.
At around nine we were headed to Uganda. I tried to talk to this adorable old lady next to me who was from Uganda, but she couldn’t understand me. Pray for me that I learn to speak slowly and distinctly, as I am beginning to realize this is going to be a huge hindrance while I am here. After failed conversation, I fell asleep before we even took off and didn’t wake up till the served us some nasty dinner. I slept most of the flight and didn’t wake up until they were shoving a breakfast box in front of my face. That breakfast was weird, one thing I will never understand is where British Airways comes up with their menu for breakfast, it was a spinach egg and mayo sandwich thing!
When we landed we had no problems. All of our luggage arrived, Lawrence was there to pick us up and after a little confusion over who he was picking up, we headed off to Matoke Inn, the AIM guesthouse. We get to hang out here and relax for the day, which is perfect because I don’t think I have ever been this tired in my entire life, but I am not allowed to go to sleep so that I can break the jet lag.
Being here is really weird. I think because I am so tired my emotions are going haywire, because one moment I am like so happy to be here and am excited because its all familiar and feels like a second home, and the next I get really frightened when I realize that five months is a long time. Pray for me that I will get focused and not get homesick.
That’s all for now folks! Love y’all and miss you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment