Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sent by Post

I am finally in Tororo!!

For the next six weeks, Laura and I will be working here with a hilarious missionary named Evelyn Ant. We are going to be spending the first two weeks running basically VBS for two different churches. Then for the rest of our time here, and during the first two weeks, we will be working at Smile Africa ministries helping with over four hundred children there. Also, we will be spending some time at the Salvation Army's orphanage doing work there and helping with their street kids ministry.

How did we get here? Well thats a funny story....

Laura and I got up at 5:30 am and drove to the post office. In Uganda post is not delivered by mail trucks or anything of that sort. No, post is delivered by bus. And not only post can travel on bus, but you can buy a ticket and traveling on the bus with the post. So we went to the post office, bought to tickets to Tororo for less than 7 dollars and waited for the bus to arrive. We finally got on the bus at around 9 am and were headed for Tororo. Then we stopped. Practically every thirty minutes, and the conductor would grab the post and drop it each post office. Then we would start again.

Not only did we drop post at the different offices in different towns, but we also picked up other passengers along the way. We started our journey with maybe ten people on the post bus. There are thirty seats, and by the time we got to Tororo there were about fourty people or more on the post. I don't think the bus could handle that much weight, because for the hour before we reached Tororo, the bus would stop, wait for ten minutes, then go a few hundred meters, and stop again. It should have only taken us about four hours to get from Kampala to Tororo, but i think it ended up taking six and half. It was an experience for sure.

Being white, I obviously stick out a ton, and I think children are more curious about it than I realized. While we were sitting on the bus, there was a woman with a little baby behind me and a toddler. I think the toddler understood what a white person was, but the baby was a bit more curious. For five minutes it felt like it would slowly reached forward and just touch barely touch the back of my arm with its index finger. Imbolden by the fact that I never turned around, ( i thought it was funny and wanted to see what she would do), she began to reach forward and just try to wipe the white off of me. She was confused when that didn't work and began to pinch my skin to see if it would go away that way. Eventually her mom saw and made her stop, but it was really funny.

That's all for now. Pray for us as we prepare the lessons for the next two weeks and as we get to know to Tororo. Also, pray for me as I've been sick and have a dash of homesickness already.

Bedemaber (goodbye in Japadhola)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

praying for ya brynne!